Sunday, December 10, 2006

Got Dropped on the Early Birds Ride Today

Well, I finally got dropped on the SBRA Early Birds ride. This was not totally unexpected as I have been off the bike for the better part of two weeks. I was yoyo-ing off the back for most of the first 40 miles and finally the elastic broke.

Ride started out pretty well. We gathered at Port Jefferson Station for the 8:30am start. Temperature in the mid to high 30's, with a favorable wind for the initial easterly section of the route. I struggled over the 10-mile hilly section at the beginning as the heavy hitters set a grueling early pace that put the hurt on a lot of guys. Middle flat section was hard but I was always able to maintain contact.

As we headed back to Port Jefferson I lost contact on a hill and just had to get up it at my own pace. I hooked up with Dave and Dan who were also dropped and the three of us worked to complete the last 10 miles at a more comfortable pace. I started to feel the familar "bonk" feeling coming on and stopped the group for I minute so I could gulp down a power bar. As it was, I still struggled to finish. Even with the struggles, we finished the 53.3 miles with a 19+ mph pace. Respectable.

Man, I've got to get back in the riding groove!

No comments: