Saturday, April 19, 2008

Ride to Bellport

Rode out to Bellport today on a quest to pickup my new EECT jersey at Kreb Cycle. I ordered the team jersey over the winter but have not had a chance to drive out to Bellport to get it. Since I'm trying to build up miles to get ready for a couple of century rides in May, this seemed like a good opportunity to get in a long ride and finally pick up the jersey.


The object of my quest.

Great weather today, ride started in the mid 50's and was high 60's by the time I completed the 72 mile ride. Took about 4 hours, which is what I was estimating. The route was very familiar as I just got on Merrick Rd. (which soon becomes Montauk Highway) and headed east. Just after Patchogue, I got on Rt. 36 (South Country Road) for about 3 miles, which passes within one block of Kreb Cycle. Got my jersey, ate a Clif bar in the parking lot, then headed back home.

I ran the usual gauntlet between Massapequa and Babylon, where there is virtually no shoulder on the 4-lane road for almost 10 miles. I was sure to take a big drink in Babylon because I knew there would be no way I was taking my hands off of the bars until I got through to Massapequa.

Exchanged e-mail with John Y. this week so I am looking forward to doing the Early Birds from Manorville tomorrow. Hopefully won't get dropped. I don't know, my legs are kind of toast right now. Ride report tomorrow.

No comments: