Friday, July 06, 2007

Epic Night at the Races!

Tonight's race schedule included a 1-lap Time Trial, followed by a traditional circuit race. Things were made even more interesting with the weather!

I was one of about 30 riders who signed up for the time trial, which consisted of one lap of the usual circuit course. I also had the honor of being the first rider in the TT. We left at 30 second intervals. The weather was a factor as I rode in the middle of a downpour. It was the same for the first 8 or so riders, then things started to clear a bit. At least, the rain tapered off. I finished with a time of 4 min 14 sec. Not sure where that rates out of all the riders. Results should be on the Kreb site in a couple of days.

On to the circuit race. I rode with the "B" group which had about 13 riders tonight. There were 2 primes and I pipped another rider on the line to take the second prime, my first. The two hard accelerations for the primes split the field and I ended up in a six man breakaway, which was eventually whittled down to four riders. I put a lot of effort into helping the break stay away, probably more than I should have. As a result, I finished fourth in the race. But still, my BEST finish! My payday, at least covered my entry fee and gas money! A really satisfying outing, especially with the difficult conditions. And we finally got a break to stick in the "B" race.

Wish I had some photos! Probably recover with a short ride tomorrow morning, and looking forward to a challenging, hilly century at the Gold Coast on Sunday!

No comments: